Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Where Do I Go From Here?


Not too long ago, I had my life planned out to a CAPITAL T. I was working for a MBE company- getting my marketing and public relations experience early prior to graduating into the real world. After graduation, I planned on continuing to work at that current employer while prepping myself for graduate school. Then, within two years- "LA Here I Come" to attend University of Southern California's Graduate Program for Communication Management. As one can already tell, I can go on and on about my life's plan- BUT….
On December 30th, 2009 my plans were derailed; I got a call from my supervisor that my boss wants to meet with everyone individually. As the night had passed; my anxiety and constant phones calls from my girl friend /co-workers; the night had turned into day quickly. The next day, time couldn't go by any slower for my 3pm appointment with my boss. Walking into the office, up the stairwell seemed longer than ever. I was greeted by my two supervisors to have a seat in the conference room which looked like a long night of shuffled papers and files all over the table. My boss- starts off with light conversation asking me if I've talked to the girls (my co-workers) and so on. Then, he goes into the BIG spill "Janelle, I'm going to have to let you go." All, I could do was smile because I honestly can't say that I was surprised, I had known that the company had faced many financial and business hardships over the past year. Walking out of the office, there were no hard feelings just thoughts of confusion. "Where do I go from here?"
I had spent 48 hours of deep thoughts and questions seeking answers from God. To make matters worse, I still hadn't heard from any of my co-workers turned girlfriends- everyone was speechless, numb, not knowing what to say to one another in each other's time of need. Some may not understand but out of all the years of my employment history this was the first time I had been unemployed by matters I could not control. I've been working, since I can remember and anyone who knows me knows that I am a work-alcoholic. The feeling of earning and having your own is priceless to me. My mother has always told me – whatever you want, you have to work for it.
So, where am I now? I'm still unemployed and like many other still job searching. This road has been very tough for me because for once in my life I am letting God take full control- where I'll end up next I do not know. I take this as a blessing- how I lost job right at the end of the year and starting off 2010 onto something new … a new attitude and a new leap of faith. Fortunately, I was able to work out something with my employer to just work as a Freelance Marketing Consultant and continue to my internship with the company for my last semester of undergrad. I'm taking each day as it goes, focusing on the bigger picture which is me. I'm doing things that I enjoy (i.e. like starting this blog- which I've put off for so many years).

No comments:

Post a Comment